12.08.2008

Day 5 sponge

So last night (well very early this morning around 2:30) i finally remembered to wash the sponge! this was always my problem with tampons.. i forget to change them! so i pull it out and it was so full that blood started to drip down my hand! i had it in for almost 8 hours! it was crazy! so this freaked me out about wanting to sleep with it. i was thinking about using the cup when i slept but i didnt and it was fine! no leakage! so i am sold on both products! still thinking about getting the keeper to see if its more comfortable. 

oh but... my only problem with the sponge is that it smells! it smells like the ocean! but not the nice sea mist/ocean breeze smell. the smell of the water with fish in it. its not to bad but its kinda gross. it causes me to think of snorkeling. 

i was also freaked out by the packaging saying that there may be small bits of coral in the sponge! great! watch out you may have coral cutting up your vadge! so i examined it and didnt see anything. 

i'm good to go! its way cuter than a tampon! and i feel very in touch with nature using it! 


VyNL

6 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Interesting. I've actually never heard of using a sponge before.

I also tampons, so this sounds easier to me than using the cup (like my mother and sister do).

Anonymous said...

Guys, this is so interesting. I have now wasted over two hours I should have used for writing a paper reading all about alternative methods. The sponge seems less intimidating than a cup in that it's more similar to a tampon. Although, I did find this awesome LJ community all about cups:

http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/

In general, everyone is in love with them. My question is if you cut the tab, how do you get it out? By putting you fingers all the way up around the cup? That would gross me out quite a bit.

VyNL said...

ya! you would have to just reach up there, pinch the cup and hope that it will come out without exploding everywhere! that's why i am so afraid to cut it! thanks for the link i am going to post it!

VyNL

VyNL said...

You could leave just a little piece of tab so that it sticks out less, but there is still something to grab onto. I think I had a few instances where I couldn't loosen it enough to pull it out on the first try, so I pinched the very bottom of the cup and it was able to slide more easily without spilling everywhere.

*-Schwinn

Artwork by Colleen said...

this really IS fascinating... I like having my two unbiased test subjects going into the scary world of alternative menstrual products, faithfully and thoroughly reporting back to us :)

aaaannnnd that bit about the coral completely and utterly steered me as far away from sponges as I could get. I was picturing an actual sea sponge, and thought to myself "no.... that couldn't be, how could you sanitize that, it's a dead ANIMAL!" but then you said that about the coral, and.... well, it's not for me. :P