10.24.2008

Day 1

I had every intention of trying this thing out prior to having my period this month.  It seemed challenging enough to merit some getting used to – but it was now or never as I had pushed my wait to the max and had no choice…no surprise there.  Alas, I was spotting.  Quickly, I boiled it, washed my hands like a surgeon and folded it once, twice maybe.  Popped it in with remarkable ease and no bother.  Suddenly I had this hollow feeling inside.  For much of the day, my cramps were intense – reminding me of the cup’s presence...as if they somehow were related.  Silly, of course.  Several hours passed and I decided to empty the cup before a swinging party was about to ensue.  Positioned over a toilet, I tried for the tip, the bottom, felt it slide somewhat and pulled it out oh so successfully, about to watch the first cup-full of blood…dark mucosal blood…spill out until PLOP – it slipped out of my hand and fell into the toilet.

 

            Now as I grabbed it and ran it under hot water for several minutes before deciding to boil it again, I could only envision that I was in a crowded bathroom at any number of places beginning with Coney Island, NYU medical center, the mall, MMC…women are standing in line and hogging sinks and here I am with this bloody mess of a cup that has now fallen into the toilet.  Smooth.  Herein I decided without reservation that every woman needs two of these...one for emergency back up.  Can you tell?  I’ve been sold.


Schwinn

1 comment:

Artwork by Colleen said...

"Herein I decided without reservation that every woman needs two of these...one for emergency back up. Can you tell? I’ve been sold."
I love the preparedness :) Good plan. ... This blog actually is getting me to CONSIDER using a cup... hm. Propaganda. lol