10.23.2008

दक Inspiration

She had recently gained my full respect and was now before us, passing around a sizeable silicone cup and its junior. Soon a satin blue bag reached me complete with a mini pamphlet on its purpose and directions of use – without more advertisements aimed at making me feel embarrassed or proud about my period. Though, I tend to be pretty neutral on these things. Here I am, an avid tampon user (I prefer the Tampax Pearl WMD wicked menstrual device), a masturbator, a sexually active (though on an extended voluntary hiatus) woman and an irregular visitor of the gynecologist. I have no qualms about putting useful and helpful objects in my vagina and have so far enjoyed decent outcomes barring momentary discomfort…but until now, I’ve not considered being a menstrual cup user long enough to try it.

Tampons and the issue of the “bleach leech” never quite worried me, nor did the threat of TSS despite my mother’s warnings and my sister’s recent admonition that “I better never sleep with a tampon”. Even flushing has rarely been an issue – after all, the single experience I have with a clogged toilet will forever be questionably the fault of my tampon, my distressing bowel movement or the crossed Q-tips that managed their way down there by the owner of the toilet. I can’t say I am green enough to consider the environmental effects without stumbling upon stray applicators on beaches, in bathrooms and curbside.

I’ve regretfully lined or double-bagged, flooded thin maxis and worried when overnights were overloaded in under the time limit noted on the package. I’m not a fan of anything lingering where I can feel it, leaking when I don’t have time to change it or shifting to a chafe. But given the options, that’s what I’ve used…and have seldom complained.

But there was something there – was it a freeing feeling associated with the blue in the bag? Was this a blue period, the kind Always says I should be happy about? Was it the smoothness of the curious cloudy silicone, a refreshing vacation from cotton and gauzy gluey (bloody) catch-all? Was it my own intrigue in a self-constructed taboo? I would never catch my blood in a cup…I mean, what do you DO with that after? Suddenly I was enchanted with this chalice। It was worth a try as I’d have nothing to lose but a week…and that is to say only if it were a nightmare. Imagine if it were better than the rest?

Schwinn

1 comment:

Artwork by Colleen said...

Schwinn: "I have no qualms about putting useful and helpful objects in my vagina"

LOVE IT. hahaaaa! I'm very happy for you and your pleasantly engaged vagina. :P